Comments on watching and making films.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The 39 Steps


NOTE: This post is a review of a Hitchcock film that was seen projected on 35mm at the Belcourt Theater in Nashville, TN, as part of their Alfred Hitchcock: Master of Suspense Series. These movies were not watched on DVD, but in a theater, projected on film.


Robert Donat is Hannay, a Canadian visiting England, who decides to attend a show. When a riot breaks out at this show (along with gun shots), Hannay finds himself in the company of a mysterious woman who reveals that she is a spy, and some folks are after her. They take refuge in Hannay's apartment, but the next morning, he wakes to find the woman dead, and the evidence pointing to him. He takes off across the Queen's country to unravel the mystery this woman was trying to solve, and try to prove he didn't kill her.

Films of this era are always a toss up for me, but, for the most part I enjoyed The 39 Steps. It did feel a little slow, at times, but I tend to chalk that up to the filmmaking of the time. I wish I had more to say. It was good, but it was kind of "One and Done" for me.

No comments: