Comments on watching and making films.

Monday, December 12, 2011

DVD - The Future

Miranda July's debut feature Me and You and Everyone We Know was one of my favorite films of 2005. As far as her short films go, I've only seen Are You The Favorite Person Of Anybody?, but I still look forward to whatever she does, probably a little too much considering how little of her work I've seen. Needless to say, I was anticipating The Future greatly. Totally stoked about it, but it blew past me in the theater, so I ended up having to wait for it to come out on DVD.

The film concerns a couple, July as Sophie and Hamish Linklater as Jason. They have adopted a cat that has terminal complications in some sort of convoluted attempt to prepare themselves for having a child (I'm assuming) and to learn how to sacrifice for something other than themselves. When the cat is injured, and has to be hospitalized for a month, Sophie and Jason decide to take that month as a sort of last ditch effort to do anything and everything they could possibly want, after learning from the vet that the cat could, potentially, live another five to six years. They both quit their jobs, and vow to make the next thirty days something life changing.

While, on the whole, I'm not a huge fan of The Future, there were aspects of it that I liked. My biggest problem with it, I suppose, is that there didn't seem to be a lot of weight to any of the things that happened in the story. You get the feeling that Sophie and Jason were just kind of together because they were, not because they genuinely felt strongly for each other, and when things go bad between them, their attitudes don't really reflect what has been built up.

The film definitely reflects July's sensibilities, and I think her flights of fancy are what saves the film a lot of times. There is a great sequence where Jason stops time that I really loved. Ultimately, though, it never really felt like Jason and Sophie were that connected in the first place, so that's why it's kind of hard to feel connected to the movie. It feels like they don't really care, so why should I?

No comments: