Comments on watching and making films.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Michael Cera has been knocking his roles out of the park lately, and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is no different. Based on a novel written for the teen/young adult crowd, the film centers around the titular characters of Nick and Norah, who meet up at a New York City night club. Nick is playing with his band, and trying to get over his recent break up with Triss, while Norah, who goes to school with Triss, and knows of Nick, is at the club with her friend Caroline. When Norah is made fun of by Triss for being alone, she lies to Triss and tells her that she's there with her boyfriend. Triss calls her out, though, and Norah decides to ask a random guy to act like her boyfriend until she can get out of there. She accidently asks Nick, having never seen his face, but knowing who he is through the numerous mixes he's made for Triss. Caroline gets totally blasted, and Nick and Norah trust Nick's bandmates to get her home, but they end up loosing her along the way. This causes a chain reaction of all the characters making a search of New York City, while also trying to find out the location of a secret show by their favorite band "Where's Fluffy?".

Cera plays the same kind of character that he's played before in films like Juno and Superbad, but if you like him in those roles (which I do), you never get tired of it. Kat Dennings plays Norah as the indie girl of Nick (and my) dreams. I think that is, maybe, why I connected with this film so well. I saw a lot of my own insecurity in Nick and I saw a lot of the girl's I have always had a crush on in Norah. The two have a realistic adventure and find love in one of the most romantic cities in the world. 

Although the film reminded me a lot of other films, including Juno, it didn't really bother me that much. The young actors bring a lot of energy to the film, and what is NOT interesting about a film set in New York City? The soundtrack for this film is also amazing. I went out and bought it a few days later (weighing all of my options, I found out it was actually cheaper at Best Buy than iTunes), and have been playing it non-stop ever since. It makes me wonder if Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist will grow to be one of those cult-generational films like American Graffiti were people look back on it, and see the truth of the generation it portrayed. Maybe, maybe not... who knows? All I do know is, I'll be buying the DVD when it comes out and watching it for many years to come.

No comments: