Comments on watching and making films.

Friday, August 22, 2008

The Quandary of Criterion Blu-Ray

Eventually, I suppose, everyone will get a new High Definition TV, and Blu-Ray DVD player. I mean, you'll have to at some point. But, right now, a lot of people don't have them, and I am one of those people. Beyond the fact that I was rooting for HD-DVD over Blu-Ray, I don't have 400 bucks for the player, and even if I did, I don't have a 1000+ bucks for the High Def TV to hook it up too.

Here in lies a quandary for me. Two films I love will be coming out in November on Criterion in both standard def DVD and Blu-Ray (both for sale at the same price). One of them, Bottle Rocket, I already own (from the previous non-Criterion release). The other, Chungking Express, I was not incredibly happy with the transfer on, so I decided to put off buying it in hopes that there would, eventually, be a DVD with a better transfer available. So, do I go ahead and buy the Blu-Ray editions, knowing that I can't play them until I get a Blu-Ray player and high def TV (which could be another year or more away)? I don't want to spend thirty bucks a piece on the standard def dvd's (even though a Blu-Ray player will still play them), knowing that eventually I will get a Blu-Ray player, but I also don't want to buy two DVD's (of movies I really love) and see them sit on the shelf until I get the money to buy the proper equipment to play them on. There's the other option, which is, simply, wait, but I'd really like to see these new editions, and see how they're presented at 1080p, and there are other movies, as well, that I would love to either buy, or at least rent, in Blu-Ray.

I guess what it comes down to, ultimately, is I just need to start saving up those pennies...

No comments: