Comments on watching and making films.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Will Red kill my love of film?

I'm not going to lie, I thought Red was a joke. I thought it was some millionaires wet dream, something that a lot of money would be thrown at, but would never actually see the light of day. Well, late last year, the first cameras started coming off of the assembly lines, and footage has been popping up ever since.

It's beautiful. And I HATE digital. I have never seen a good looking digital image. Until now.

I've been visiting Red Relay a lot, to see what people are doing with this camera, and I am continuously amazed by the imagery that people are pulling out of the camera.

For those of you that know me, for me to say this is a BIG deal, but - Red could kill film for me. Not completely, mind you. I'd still like to do projects on film, but... they would mostly be short, experimental things, because of the costs associated with film.

The Definers, however, will be done on film. Period. Even if it ends up being the only feature I shoot on film. I just have a very particular vision for it, and that includes being shot on black and white, 16 or 8mm film.

No comments: